Being in the profession I am, I am really keen on certain key points…
- Grammar and proper language
- Good behaviour and setting a good example
… and I get incredibly annoyed when these 3 basic life-rules don’t happen.
3 guesses what my post is about?!
Yesterday, WoW Insider posted: Community Blog Topic: Should well-behaved players be rewarded?
A while ago, in my Monday Moan, I had a gripe about badly mannered people and foul language. I know a lot of folks get really frustrated with the general disgusting attitude of fellow players, especially towards newbies and in LFG. Just a couple of days ago, we were running alts through a low level dungeon and I pulled aggro without realising, only to get called a ‘bitch’ by the healer… and the tanks language wasn’t much better. She then left me to die and quit the instance so I had to corpse run from the graveyard in Zangarmarsh, into Slave Pens and all the way through the damn instance to loot the final boss.
I think there are certain valid points the article covers:
- Builds on the principal that I stick to: positive behaviour management. If you behave well, you get rewarded.
- See above.
However, I also think it’s a ridiculous idea for several reasons:
- WoW is not school, and should be treated as such!
- Good behaviour is a basic human principal and should be a given (whether it is or not is a separate issue)
- Rewarding people for being polite will only encourage more scamming of the system
- I can’t think of a fair way to instigate a reward system: for LFR? For LFG? For guildies? Should we vote? How do we vote?
- What is ‘well-behaved’? Not swearing? Saying hello? Not ninja-ing loot? I can’t see a fair way to judge it.
- WE SHOULD NOT BE REWARDING GROWN ADULTS FOR NOT BEING NASTY TO EACH OTHER!
The basic issue is this: common decency has gone out the window. We should say hello and thank you in LFG. We should be making sure we look after new players and offering them help/advice. We should be talking to, and treating each other, with respect and kindness. Next time you’re passing a lowbie, why not buff them, or one shot that mob which is trying to kill them? Simple, yet effective.
What we should not be doing is treating each other like crap, using language unsuitable for children (because they do exist in-game!), and rewarding players with a treat like a dog when they act like a human. How about we all become much more stringent on those acting like idiots instead, and Blizzard punishing them more thoroughly?
Next time you might feel like raging at a player: ask yourself whether you’d say or act like that to someone IRL. Set the example, play nice, and karma will give you a pat on the back.
I appreciate my view may not be echoed by everyone – what do you think?