Following on from my Archaeology guide (http://wp.me/p34kY5-2p), it’s now time for some fishing.
Fishing on my raft with my “Dragon Fishing Pole” (requires, Anglers – revered)
There are loads of good fishing guides, but as with a lot of WoW things, it doesn’t tell you the basics in laymans terms. That’s what I’m here for!
- 4 secondary professions: Archaeology, Fishing, Cooking, First Aid
- Learnt from the appropriate trainer in each city: ask a guard then look for the arrow on your mini-map (I didn’t realised it showed you the way – thick or what!)
- Broken down into levels of 75 points (although you can train the next level after 50 points) which you need to go back to the trainer in order to progress. I definitely did not grind for an hour before realising I couldn’t gain more points because I hadn’t trained…
- Accessed by pressing ‘P’, clicking ‘Professions’ (the little tab at the bottom of the pop up page), then pulling the icon out (shift+click) onto your toolbar. (N.B. You can bind this button to a key so you’re not clicking it every 17seconds – it’s much faster!)
Fishing in 3 steps:
- Use the ‘fishing’ button to cast the line – it’s like a channelling spell, click it once and watch the magic
- Hover your cursor over the bobber in the water (look, it turns into a funky fishing icon!) – when it bobs (can be tricky to see, having the sound turned on helps, as it makes a splashing sound), click it
- Loot the fish
- You need to be level 5 to learn the skill
- You don’t need to have a pole or a lure, but you can purchase these from a fishing trainer in a major city – some poles/lures give extra fishing skill so they’re worth investing in
- DO THE DAILIES! They give you bonus skill points and a loot bag – you can get lots of cool stuff from them. Also, the Darkmoon Fair once a month gives extra easy skill ups too
- You can fish anywhere – as long as the water is deep enough. You could level it all in one place – but this is incredibly boring.
- This is the boring bit… you cast your line… and you wait. REMEMBER TO TRAIN EVERY 50-75 LEVELS.
- I reccommend you pick the highest level zone for your skill and fish there. If you’re levelling cooking at the same time, you will want to do some research about where to get the fish you need
- Pools: these are little nodes where fish congregate, dotted around any body of water – salt or fresh. You’re more likely to catch fish rather than junk grey items, so they’re better to fish in.
- Weather Beaten Journal: your best friend. This is looted from either a daily reward or fished from a wreckage (floating piles of wood) dotted about in coastal waters. Once you get it, learn it, and turn on ‘track fish’ (the magnifying glass by your mini map). This will show all fishing nodes as yellow dots, making it much easier to see them.
- You can also loot and buy fishing items which increase your skill, I would really reccommend you equip these as it’s quicker and easier to fish with them. Totally ruins your transmog, but heyho.
Again, for an achievement-holic like I am, this profession holds a lot of excitement. It’s also a big – as Mr B would say – “time sink”. You spend hours doing these achievements.
Some of my favourites are:
- The Coin Master: this involves sitting at the fountain in Dalaran and fishing endless hours for the coins that you can catch. If you get a GOLD coin, throw it back into the fountain. This will give you a short buff which will make it more likely to fish up another coins. You should be able to catch enough coins with the buff to catch other gold coin so you have a continual buff which helps a lot with this achievement.
On my ‘Mushroom Chair’ (Molton Front dailies) fishing at Dalaran coin fountain
- The Lurker Above: in Serpentshrine Cavern. I just like that you can fish up a massive fish and can then kill it. Awesome.
- Outland / Pandaria (etc) Angler: you know me, I like sightseeing and these achievements gets you out in the world fishing in lots of cool places.
- Tournaments: search your calendar and wowhead for more info – they’re really fun but I’ve yet to win one!
I hope I have enlightened you – happy fishing!
Awesome, I learnt a few things!
Reiytwow – that’s brilliant, I’m so glad it helped! Thanks for reading 🙂
if you see debris floating fish that spot. particularly around darkmoon island thi can be very lucrative.
I never knew that about the gold coins. I have fished there a few times but I didn’t pay attention to the coins.
Use them wisely, they are a big help 🙂 Good luck!
Yeah the gold coins a lot of people would never think of. Played that section of that. I like the descriptions of sections of the game play. Great write up!
Thank you 🙂