Last weekend I heard that by winning the Stranglethorn Vale Fishing Extravaganza you not only get an achievement, but you can choose between some prizes (fishing rods, boots, vanity items etc), but one in particular caught my eye:
This in itself was motivation enough for me to go and win it. An extra 5% xp for my alts? Yes please!!
All you have to do, if you’re not aware, is catch 40 Speckfled Tastyfish. Once you’ve done this, you must hand them into Mr Riggle Bassbait who is just outside the Inn in Booty Bay, on the dock. First 3 people to do this get the achievement and a prize. It also counts towards your Salty title, so what are you waiting for?!
Also worth noting that there are rare fish you can also catch which can yield rewards… +5 fishing items and Nat Pagle gear.
So off I trundled at 12.30pm for the 1pm start (that’s 2pm server for you Europeans!), set my hearthstone at Booty Bay then placed myself here:
My tactic was simple: let everyone else panic about spawning points, but remain in the same area to reduce downtime between fishing. I assumed most would stick to Southern Stranglethorn (I was right), and those who did venture up north were doing laps up and down the river. The lake here has about 6 spawn points, and even if someone comes to fish there, another spawns as they do so. There are mobs in this area, so if you’re a lowbie, clear the area first.
You know it’s started by a /yell, so make sure you have your chat on. Also, this is how the winners are announced. Do keep going if first place is announced, as you could be second or third – there are prizes for all 3 and an achievement remember!
I got my 40 Speckled Tastyfish and hearthed back to hand in to was a full 3minutes in front of second place. The area became quite crowded at around the 20minute mark when most people were starting to hand in their quests from different servers, so a /tar macro may be a good idea.
- Get there early, so you can seize up the competition and get sorted
- Set your hearth to Booty Bay
- Put your fishing pole on a keybind and turn your settings up – I struggled to see the pools on my ‘low’ graphic settings. If you don’t land it in the pool, you’re wasting valuable time fishing up junk.
- Put your sound on, just incase you miss the bob of the bobber.
- Clear your bags (enough for the 2 stacks of fish and your prize!)
- Choose your prize in advance – you don’t win til you hand the quest in, so no faffing!
- Try not to move too far between pools, this creates downtime between casts.
- Don’t steal other people’s pools, and move on if they steal yours – it’s not worth it.
- If you have anything less than max fishing, use a lure. You don’t want to not use one for the sake of a missed catch.
- Keep calm, but concentrate. Keep trying if you don’t win first time, a lot of it is luck on the amount of people entering that week.
Anyway, I was dead chuffed with my ring and now Mr B wants me to do it for him so he can have one. I really recommend you give it a go – yes, stressful, but reaps rewards.
I hope this has been a tiny bit helpful if you haven’t yet attempted it!