After much deliberation, I decided to have a break from the daily grind of, er, dailies, and go get me a dino.
Myself and Mr B went off to the Isle of Giants to farm the Zandalari Dinomancers for the Ancient Tome of Dinomancy which enables hunters to tame the Direhorns on the Island. We also started the grind for Dino Bones for the mount.
- Fly to the furthest point in Kunlai Summit (Zouchin Village) and fly immediate North – don’t panic about the fatigue, it’ll dismount you so keep on swimming.
- Get to the island and pick up the flight point so next time you can fly there from Pandaria
- Take a friend (we took a healer – disc priest – so he could DPS at the same time), as it will be much easier
- There are different ‘sized’ mobs on the island to look out for – small, medium and large. You can only tame the smallest ones of each species
What to do
1. Be careful how you pull the mobs. My hunter is only 464ilvl and we pulled 2 by mistake – a small direhorn and one of the larger ones and it wiped us out
2. Go and hunt the Zandalari Dinomancers (they look like trolls) – take an immediate left up the path from the flight point and there are 4 or 5 there
3. Kill them for the Tome. We killed 6 before it dropped and we didn’t have to move from that spot
4. Pick which colour Direhorn you’d like to tame, and voila – done.
I haven’t named him yet – any ideas?
- If you like collecting pets, like myself, then you’ll be interested to know you can also tame a Devilsaur (I found 2 different colours, I named mine Rex!)
- Oondasta is here for you to enjoy trying to kill
Hunting the bones
This is a good old-fashioned grind – be prepared for the long haul. In exchange for 9,999 dinosaur bones, you can buy yourself a Bone-White Primal Raptor which looks very nice indeed. If that isn’t tempting enough, for 999 you can buy a Spectral Porcupine pet which also looks very pretty.
Each mob awards a different number of bones. We managed the small version of the mobs pretty easily between 2, and this is what we discovered:
Young Primal Devilsaur: rewards 11-13 bones
Primal Direhorn Hatchling: rewards 7-10 bones
Pterrorwing Skyscraper: rewards 13-16 bones but has a massive AoE attack which nearly wiped us out until we got the hang of it!
There are larger versions of these mobs but I suggest you get a small group together with better gear than HC blues 😀
Whatever you’re there for, it really is a beautiful place to spend time in. Good luck!