I love this hunter pet!
- You need to be at least level 19/20 to tame this pet (I’d go at 20, just to be safe)
- Spawns in Darkshore – exact map with points here
- Very similar in looks to a Spirit Beast, especially in prowl – which makes him so attractive, but does not have spirit beast abilities
- If you’re taming this at level, clear the mobs around the spawn points first, to save you hassle later
- You’re looking for cat figurines around the ruins – they’re quite small, they don’t sparkle and usually on the floor by a mob. Once you locate it, click it to destroy it.
- Each figurine has a chance to spawn the Ghost Saber nearby – it has taken me 5 minutes by destroying 3 or 4, up to an hour destroying more than 30.
- Standard cat tame – pop deterrence or frost trap and hit tame
Overall, this is a really easy pet which looks great and – even better – is available low-level. It has standard ‘Cat’ abilities, so nothing special there, but it’s quite unusual and different from the usual wolf or bear. I know it’s a trek to get to Darkshore, but he’s worth every minute. I still don’t have any Spirit Beast cats, so I use Ghost Saber a lot!
Whilst searching for a new pet, I stumbled across one I’d never heard, nor seen, before and was immediately intrigued.
Boar Spirit, Razorfen Kraul
This is the boar spirit from RFK in Southern Barrens, a level 30ish instance.
- He has an interesting translucent skin and just under 2k hp
- He is spawned from the 2nd boss in the instance – Aggem Thorncurse
- He dies just after taming, but don’t panic, with a revive he’ll be right as rain
As a level 90, this poses its own unique set of problems; namely, not one-shotting the boss. This is what I did:
- Skip all the trash and head straight for the boss
- Clear the trash just before the boss so you have an unobstructed view of Mr T
- Dismiss pet
- Concussive shot Thorncurse and immediately untarget him. Pull right back.
- Wait 5 seconds for the boar to spawn, hit tame and when he’s yours, kill the boss
Here he is again, for your viewing pleasure.
I think he’s pretty cool and very “badass”. Being low level, he’s also a really good – unique – choice for lowbie hunters.
After yesterday’s exploits I thought I’d go for a quick run around Molton Front and Hyjal to see if any of the rares were up… and Deth’tilac was!!
Deth’tilac, Spider, Molton Front
This was a really hard tame which Mr B did really well at mastering it after a couple of attempts.
- Can’t tame under 20% and hits like a truck, so this is a kiting tactic
- Take a friend with a rooting spell, such as a druid or a shaman with an earthbind totem
- Have your pet out for this, it will help a great deal
- The area you have is very small, so make sure you know the area you have to move and don’t fall off the cliff
- Have concussive shot, frost trap, revive pet and arcane shot where you can reach them easily. A spider pet is ideal (it has a web) but any pet is fine
- Deth’tilac will use a move called Deth Strike which will one-shot anything in melée range, but give a 10% damage to the spider. Therefore, you will need to sacrifice your pet in order to damage the boss enough for you to tame. Of course, you could kite it round but that would take a long time.
- Keep up concussive shot, frost trap and wait for him to use the ability on your pet. When he does, your pet will die and you need to get as far away as possible to revive pet before he catches you. Rinse and repeat. If you root it, it will cause the ability to happen, so a friend with this ability (or a spider pet) will make it quicker. We found Feigning Death works as it transfers all aggro onto your pet, thus causing the ability to proc.
- Once at 20%, get as far away as possible using your slows, dismiss pet and tame.
It’s a fantastic looking pet, a must-have I think, so good luck!
A very quick post to brag – I hope you don’t mind – about taming my latest hunter pet.
Hutia, Spectral Porcupine, Jade Forest
I can’t take the credit for this tame, as it was the combined effort of Mr B and Hapie, our guildie. Doesn’t it look awesome?!
- Found in Jade Forest and you must be level 90 to tame
- One of 3 tameable spectral porcupines
- You must get him below 20% health to tame and he hits like a beast so this is a kiting tactic
- Get the Glyph of Tame Beast (I didn’t have it which made this much harder!) as it reduces tame time
- He has a heal which you need to interrupt
- If you have a friend helping, you won’t be able to tame until they leave combat: so a hunter friend is ideal as they can just feign death as you start to tame
- Use all your dots, slows and stuns – kite him in a wide circle around the rock in front of his den and interrupt the spirit heal
- At 20%, pop your Frost Trap to slow him, then Disengage which will fling you back the max distance away for the best survivability chance. Use Deterrence to give yourself those few seconds deflecting the attacks and hit tame. Hopefully, by the time he’s caught up to you, your tame will almost be finished and it’s a matter of surviving. I had 20k health left at the end as I didn’t have the Tame Beast glyph so the tame took a long time.
He truly is a spectralcular (see what I did there??) pet to have – good luck!