I think Stompy looks really cute, so I thought I’d go see if I could find him!
- Found in the mountains of Kun-Lai Summit
- You must be level 88 to tame
- He does not aggro, but, like all MoP trackables, he stealths so can not be picked up using NPC scan
- I followed this map along his route – which goes almost vertically up and down mountains, but generally follows some kind of discernible trail via Mount Neverest.
- As with most trackable pets for MoP, you’re looking for his ‘heavy tracks’ and then following them in the direction they’re facing. They will disappear after 5minutes from the back of his route as new ones are made at the front, but generally his path is quite logical (makes a change!) so you can meander along the route with him.
- As always, when you reach the end of the trail, fire your flare in front of where you think he is. When he appears, stick a hunters mark on him to stop him going into stealth. This also makes him invisible to other hunters.
I followed him for a while, he moves rather sedately!
- The tame is easy when you’re ready. He also doesn’t aggro, so you don’t need deterrence etc.
He’s got a unique skin, and he’s pretty impressive – he is very tall standing next to you which is quite cool, as most of these pets shrink considerably. I’ve specced him as tank, but he’s got a nice ‘Trample’ ability which decreases spell cast speed by 50% which could be useful for DPS.
I have been wanting to go after the Pandaria pets for a long time, but always been hesitant as I realised it was probably a bit of a time sink. However, on this rather lonely Saturday evening with Mr B at work, I figured now was as good a time as any to try, especially as it’s 1am and the server is quiet…
I decided to try for Bombyx, for my first, as I love my giant beige worm (called Weedle), and this is even better with a lovely unique purple colour. I am so pleased I managed to tame him – I had to share it with you all straight away!!!
- Unique purple worm found in Kasarang Wilds (map)
- Must be level 90 and in BM spec to tame
- Does not aggro when being tamed!
- Located using a flare and following the tracks used to find other MoP hunter pets
- Can phase in and out of stealth (just like Ghostcrawler)
- Make sure you have tame beast, flare and hunters mark free and easily accessible to use
- You’re looking for these plants:
… found between the spawn points found on the map. These are the first indicators of Bombyx’s tracks. When you find one, fire your flare around it (see mine in the picture?)
- The flare will show you patches of leaves (see the dark blotches on the right of the picture?). These are the ‘tracks’ you are following. You can’t tell the direction, but they will appear denser in number the closer you are to the worm. If you’re going the wrong way, they’ll peter out.
- Bombyx travels up and down a path by the river. If you’re like me and have no idea what you’re doing, it took me about 20minutes to figure out where the path was and how to decipher the direction. Don’t panic, just keep firing the flares around the silkweed and you’ll get a good idea which direction he’s heading in.
- Once he shows up immediately put hunters mark on him. This will stop him going back into stealth and disappearing – which would cancel your tame. And you definitely don’t want that to happen.
- When you have hunters mark on him, the rest is easy. He is invisible to other hunters, so you don’t have to worry about being ninja’d and he doesn’t aggro, so just hit tame beast and he’s yours.
Honestly? This was one of the most exciting tames I’ve ever done. I loved using my flare and ‘tracking’ him down the river. This is what being a hunter is all about! I’m really looking forward to going and finding some of the others in Pandaria.
Have you found any of these new pets yet?